Moving to a new country is already an incredible experience. However, there are things that you might not have considered before the move.
You are moving to a new environment. Things will automatically change and the stuff you took for granted before, will probably appear more difficult, unfamiliar and strange.
Useful Tips to make your European move an Incredible Experience:
- Spend some time abroad beforehand: Familiarize yourself with the country you are moving to by travelling there before the move. Something familiar will make you feel welcome when the movers arrive with your belongings.
- Learn Money Management: Be prepared for a price shock. Also, think about the currency, learn the exchange rate to be able to know what you spend. At first, you might feel that it is not real money, not what you are used to, and it might cause you to overspend. Make a comparison list of the things you normally buy with their prices in the old and new currencies.
- Make new friends quickly: New friends will help you get settled much faster, they will show all the best local places to go shopping, eat, have a drink or go for a walk. You can even find expatriate groups online that could be helpful in guiding you through a possible tough first few weeks.
- Take less stuff with you, rather than more: Sort out your belongings before you start packing. Get rid of all those things that just gather dust and creates a nice place for spider-webs. Take only what you need and sell the rest or give it away. You will feel liberated and then there will be room to start integrating your new way of life, a new culture.
- Moving will Change you: You will learn to become independent and responsible in a new way, because you now embrace a new way of living. It will also change your perspective and teach you a new, different sense of appreciation and respect for the people surrounding you.
Just remember that a move to a new country will always be difficult. It will become a little easier if you accept this fact and approach each new challenge with positivity. The different things that you will experience will shape you into the person you can become.